Monday, July 19, 2010

First few days in the new place...

After our long, fun adventure across the country, we finally found our destination, completely unprepared for what was about to happen.  Brian had to go to work early on the 6th, while I waited around until the movers got here...late of course.  I had no idea how much work we had ahead of us, but I was about to find out.  The movers showed up with a huge truck that had 6 giant, wooden crates on it.  They opened the first crate, told me what box number it was, and where I wanted it to go.  For the next 3 hours, I sat in the garage and waited for the moving men to yell out a box number and then I would tell them where to put it. Brian eventually showed back up around 10 and brought me some breakfast because after he dropped me off, I realized that there was literally nothing edible in the entire house.  He also came home with some great news...his commanding officer told him that he could take 8 days off to get situated and moved in!  What a relief!!  I was nervous I was going to have to do a lot by myself!

Once the movers left, we squeezed ourselves between the boxes and sat on the couch and just kinda stared at each other.  Eventually, I decided that I should probably tackle our bedroom so that we actually had somewhere to sleep that night.  I stared in the closet, only to realize that we have wayyyy to many clothes and that the bathtub makes a great storage place for excess amounts of them.  My main goal was to find the sheets for the bed, and for some reason, none of the boxes seemed to guide me in the right direction.  I cut open almost every single box before I found the sheets for the bed, and of course it was super late and we were super exhausted!

Over the next few days, the house started to become more livable, the garage turned into an empty box grave yard, and we weaned ourselves off of fast food hamburgers and soft drinks.  We also met our neighbors who are super friendly!  It's so nice to say we have some friends here that we can hang out with!  We also learned that the summer weather here is ridiculously amazing!  We're talking between 70-85 degrees during the day without a cloud in the sky and a steady cool breeze, and about 55-60 at night. We literally slept with the windows open the first week we were here and didn't even think about turning on the air conditioner!  The winters are suppose to be pretty mild too...we're keeping our fingers crossed!


Brian's first day of work in his cute outfit:)

The big crates with all our stuff.

Our bedroom leading into our bathroom

Our closet...

The temporary closet aka bathtub

Bathtub full of clothes

Our bed before we found the sheets...

Vida romping through the packing paper forest at the bottom of the stairs

Our functional living room...

The really well labeled box where I found my sheets.  I don't know if it was laundry container and stuff or laundry container stuff...either way it didn't say anything about sheets which were not in the laundry room or a laundry container?!?  At least we found them!

1 comment:

  1. We had a box labeled 'tupperware' that did not have a single piece of plastic in it...not ONE! It had cookie sheets, pie plates, cake pans, etc. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete