Saturday, October 1, 2011

You want me to drive!?

Day 7, Thursday August 18
Driving to Butte, MT

Our trip so far has been beautiful!  We've driven through some beautiful scenery and neat cities, and up until this point, we haven't had to drive more than a few hours a day to get where we were going.  Remember how I said we didn't really plan this trip out before hand?  Well today just reassured me that I should have because when I plugged in our destination city of Butte, MT into the GPS and saw how far we had to go, I almost died.  When I looked at the map, I must have completely forgot how to use a scale or something because I swear it was only an inch between Mt. Rainier and Butte, MT.  Oh well!  We were already on our way and there was no stopping now...literally I don't think we could have stopped if we wanted to as there was nothing along the way!  The first few hours the scenery was still pretty and mountainous, but slowly the mountains turned into hills, the hills turned into mounds, and the mounds flattened out into plains of nothing but grass.  At this point, we decided that there probably wouldn't be a better time to start our book on tape than now.  We were given the first book of The Hunger Game series by a friend so we figured we'd try it out...needless to say we were hooked within minutes and couldn't wait to get the next book! 

Somewhere around 7 hours into the drive and chapter 10 in the book the sun began to set...some rolling hills started appearing again and we knew we had to be getting close to Montana...after all...Montana does mean mountain in Spanish (I'm such a nerd!).  Not too long after it got dark, Brian asked me something I never thought I'd hear..."Michelle...will you drive?"  Of course I don't mind driving, but I was under the impression that Brian was trying to do the same thing we did last summer when I didn't even touch the steering wheel...but I guess not.  Gladly I took over the steering wheel and did my part in driving across the country.  We finally arrived at our destination around midnight and couldn't wait to get to sleep...I don't know what it is about sitting in a car all day, but we were exhausted!  On to Yellowstone and Jackson tomorrow!

The flowers just don't grow like this anywhere else!  It was unreal!  This was at our hotel near Mt. Rainier.

Check up in the upper left hand corner how far we had to drive...

 Leaving Mt. Rainier

 View into the valley.

 There were so many pretty rivers along the way

 Vida enjoying the fresh air.



 Starting to flatten out...

 Funny bumper sticker!

 Mt. Rainier way out there.




 And it's flat...

Barn out in the middle of nowhere

No comments:

Post a Comment