Thursday, July 7, 2011

Our New Home in Charleston!

As many of you know, we will be moving to Charleston sometime in the next few weeks...we don't exactly know the date yet as Brian hasn't received his military orders!  Let's hope he gets them ASAP as he is going on a "deployment" humanitarian mission to Suriname sometime next week...we don't really know much about that either except that he's leaving next week for about 3 weeks...which means right when he gets back, he'll have a few days to out process here and then the movers will come and we'll be on our way back east.  So in order to prepare for our move out to Charleston, I decided to head back east for two weeks...one week I spent with Brian's family in Destin, and the second week I spent with my family (mainly my Dad) at home and in Charleston.  Brian's parents dropped me off at my mom and dad's house on a Saturday and we had a nice relaxing evening at home.  On Sunday, we celebrated Father's Day by going to church (my brother even got to come home!) and out to lunch.  Later on Sunday, my dad and I left Peachtree City with a very daunting task at hand...we were under pressure to find not just any house, but "the perfect" house in Charleston!  Brian apparently has enough confidence in my house picking abilities to let me go with my dad to find a house and determine where he will live for the next "x" years!

My dad decided to rent a car and drive it to Charleston as he knew we'd be putting a lot of miles on the car...he's been through the house hunting process a  few times before in his military career.  We got there Sunday night, and were awakened Monday morning with news that right out side our hotel, there had been a shooting on the interstate over night, a shooting at the hotel across the way, a hold up at the waffle house around the corner, and a fight in a restaurant nearby...great.  Definitely took notes not to live in that area!  After all the commotion calmed down, we went to the base, checked out base housing which wasn't great (although they are rebuilding it so if Brian's doesn't like the location or the house that I picked out, the that's our other option), and then went to meet up with a real estate agent who was gracious enough to show us rental properties.  We probably looked at about 15 rental houses all around the North Charleston area...it was really hard to pick a house but we decided our best method of attack was to look at the house, wait a little bit, talk it out and then weigh the pros and the cons.  Finally, we found a house that just seemed perfect...3 bedrooms + a finished room over garage (FROG) and 2 bathrooms.  It's super cute, new and has everything that we were looking for including a neighborhood pool and work out facilities.  We are about 30 minutes from downtown Charleston, 45 minutes to the beaches and about 10 minutes to restaurants, movie theaters etc.  Here are some pictures...our door's always open for visitors!!









No comments:

Post a Comment